Thank you...

... for taking the time to stop by. I hope some of these ponderings will resonate with you.

Leave a comment if you want to - your contributions are more than welcome.



(Unless stated otherwise, all text & pictures are © Lee Labuschagne, all rights reserved.)


Friday, June 25, 2010

Vuvuzelas et al

WOW the FIFA World Cup sure is interesting.  My early prediction is that Argentina has the best chance to take the Cup, with their closest competitors being Brazil, Spain, Portugal and dark horse the Nethnerlands.   In the meanwhile I was glad that both the US and UK made it to the next round since I have many friends in both those countries.

Bafana Bafana ended their campaign with honour, beating the French 2-1 but sadly did not get through to the next round. I shall be shouting for my two sentimental favourites Switzerland and Spain (two countries where I lived) for as long as they keep going...

Meanwhile, on those vuvuzelas that has everyone talking, some Friday fun:

Personally I really dislike the sound and sympathise with those who think the noise is harmful and that they can detract as much as enhance an experience at the football. 

But the vuvuzelas are here to stay and have become a feature of this colourful event and certainly have contributed to the "gees" (for those who don't know that word, it means "spirit" or "atmosphere".  I tolerate them for that reason and enjoy the bits of humour that they have brought along...

For those of you who read music, two compositions that you can try out at home (provided of course that you have a vuvuzela handy):

First. a simple sonata (to be played really loud):


And once you have gained enough confidence, you may start working on the concerto (again, to be played really, really loud):


(I'm not sure where these originated, but they are doing the rounds on the Internet and I thought they were fun)


  • Meanwhile, there are lots of videos on YouTube about the vuvuzelas.  If you speak/understand German, you would find this one particularly amusing, but even if you don't, it is fun to watch.

  • And then here is a delightful piece from the Onion




2 comments:

  1. Ah. I feel sad for the vuvuzela. It CAN play more than one note. I play trumpet and I have managed to get four notes from the vuvuzela, my ear is not good enought to know which notes they are but they are distinctly four. After the game I attended I've fallen in love with the vuvuzela, it makes everything so much more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauri, then you would enjoy that YouTube video :)

    I do understand how and why some others can find its sound appealing, but I'm just not one of those. For me it is noise. Those who like making a noise or who don't mind noisy environments would love it. Those, like me, with more sensitive ears just don't.

    However, the sense of celebration and the enjoyment of those who like it, is undeniable and I respect their right to do as they please.

    ReplyDelete

Add your comment(s) here: