Thank you...

... for taking the time to stop by. I hope some of these ponderings will resonate with you.

Leave a comment if you want to - your contributions are more than welcome.



(Unless stated otherwise, all text & pictures are © Lee Labuschagne, all rights reserved.)


Friday, September 3, 2010

1+1+1 for 365 day 4: Rustic and classic

TODAY'S QUOTE:
"When you re-read a classic, you do not see more in the book than you did before; you see more in you than there was before." - Cliff Fadiman



TODAY'S BOOK:

A year in Provence by Peter Mayle

I think of this as a modern classic of a autobiographical travel journal, but also a book on food, life and above all a celebration of the Provence - or at least those parts of it that have not been overrun by too many tourists.  This bestseller about the adventures of Mayle and his wife when they first bought a house and settled in the Provence is rich with atmosphere, keen observations and down-to-earth wisdoms.  Even if you had never been to the Provence (I'm lucky, I have been), reading his books on the subject makes you feel that you can smell the earth (and the truffles) and taste the wine, cheese and olives.

I also read the sequels (Toujours Provence, Encore Provence and French Lessons). In fact, in the case of Toujours and Encore, I listened to them as audiobooks and loved them in that format. 

Indeed, over the years I have worked my way through tons of audiobooks - many of them courtesy of the wonderful Listeners' Library (they have the most delightful slogan of "Have you heard a good book lately?") and also via books on tape whenever I can lay my hand on cheap ones to listen to in the car or in the format of CDs or .mp3s.   I have a whole collection of classic books on CD and although those are in abbreviated form, they are a great way to refresh my memory about some of the books I read all too long ago as student.

But back to Mayle's book. I recommend it often - not only to people who are on their way to a first visit to France, but also to those who like the thought of good, simple food and everything rustic.  Besides, it is funny at times, a lesson in self-education about the subtleties of cultural differences - and inspires one to plant herbs in your garden.  It also makes you want to brush up on French and go for long walks in nature. A "good for your spirit" book.

Somebody borrowed my copy of "A Year in Provence" and never gave it back, so I could not photograph or scan the cover... Why is it that people faitfully return trashy books but somehow forget to return the really good ones?

TODAY'S PICTURE

Not the Provence, but another part of France - the Alsace.
I love the region and this is a scene in a side street of Colmar.
I took this during one of my many visits to that area
all too long ago.
What made this visit even more memorable was that on this occasion  I made the trip together
with one of my best friends, Sarie, and her husband Pol.

TODAY'S WEBSITE: 

http://www.cpo.org.za/     Mainly for lovers of classical music.  Go there to see what the Cape Philharmonic is doing.  Yes, I'm involved...


Picture & text: © Lee Labuschagne - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I have not read or even heard of the book. However, your post made me remember my two trips to France. Your picture reminds me about the old part of Lyon where I walked and an old woman referred to me as "petite" and my friends laughed clearly not agreeing with the woman.
    My other trip was to the south of France where a friend lives near Carcasonne. You know the book by Kate Mosse which is set around there. My friend took me all around the area. It was great.
    I am not certain if I fully agree with your quote.I think on re-reading a classic we see more in ourselves and in the book. I have read Jane Eyre a few times and every time I have seen something more in it than before. And I think it is because I have seen and experienced more since the last reading. But I have seen more in the book, different parts of it have become richer.
    Better stop here before this becomes too long.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ireene, thanks for your comments. I do agree that re-reading a book often means you see different things in the book too. Many novels, plays and poems that I read as a young girl look different when viewed through more mature eyes - perhaps it is also a question of wider experience that does it?

    So to a degree I guess one could write an amended quote that says both are true :)

    ReplyDelete

Add your comment(s) here: