Thank you...

... for taking the time to stop by. I hope some of these ponderings will resonate with you.

Leave a comment if you want to - your contributions are more than welcome.



(Unless stated otherwise, all text & pictures are © Lee Labuschagne, all rights reserved.)


Monday, September 6, 2010

1+1+1 for 365 day 7: Thoughts about Pi

QUOTE OF THE DAY

What you think means more than anything else in your life. More than what you earn, more than where you live, more than your social position, and more than what anyone else may think about you. - George Adams.
 
BOOK OF THE DAY
 
Life of Pi  by Yann Martel
 
I swooned about this book for days after I read it.   The story about the boy named Pi who ends up in a small lifeboat boat with a hyena, a zebra, a orang-utan and a Bengal tiger called Richard Parker after a shipwreck that kills his family and the rest of the inhabitants (the family zoo). The book tells the story of their lone journey on the vast ocean full of sharks.  I won't spoil the rest for those who have not read it.
 
The basic story is simple, but the background elements in the first and later parts of the tale are woven in beautifully and are important.  The underlying themes are universal and makes one think about fear, religion and faith, courage, self-preservation, consciousness and the inner dialogue, friendship and many other things. 
 
Whether you categorise it as a fantasy, a fable or anything else, it is breathtaking.
 
Not that prizes are always an indication of reading pleasure, but it won the Boeke Prize in SA and a number of other prizes as well.
 
TODAY'S PICTURE



Today's picture shows how Spring comes to my garden. 
Although, astronomcally speaking the Spring Solstice only comes
 later this month (22nd) to the Southern hemisphere, these happy blooms
 in a large pot in my small garden seem to say Spring is here already agree. 


Picture & text: © Lee Labuschagne - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

TODAY'S WEBSITE
http://www.nineplanets.org/ - all, or at least most of, what you wanted to know about the Solar System...

3 comments:

  1. Lee, what are those flowers? I saw some growing wild in my garden and was admiring their delicate blue colour when wilbur came and crushed them.They were (briefly) beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynne, it is the Spring Starflower. I had to look up the scientific name (Ipherion uniflorum). It originally comes from South America.

    It has blossomed beautifully for years since I planted the (tiny) bulbs in a large pot years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful picture. It is strange to think that you have spring approaching or almost there and we have rain and cold - autumn is here. And we did not have a very long summer.
    I have bookmarked the website and will read it little by little as and when I have time. I look at the sky every evening on going to bed. Here we can actually see stars whereas in London we could not see much at all. I am afraid I cannot recognize anything at all. I hope you realize I mean the stars - not the moon.:)

    ReplyDelete

Add your comment(s) here: