Thank you...

... for taking the time to stop by. I hope some of these ponderings will resonate with you.

Leave a comment if you want to - your contributions are more than welcome.



(Unless stated otherwise, all text & pictures are © Lee Labuschagne, all rights reserved.)


Tuesday, August 31, 2010

1 plus 1 plus 1 for 365 days

Let me start with the thank you: I have to thank Suki Lock, who is a fellow astronomy enthusiast, young mom and freelancer doing tons of different, interesting things, for the idea to do this 1+1+1 for 365 thing.

Or rather, I have to thank her for the picture part of this concept.  She has a 365-pictures project going and I suggested casually the other day that "maybe, I should copy your idea in my blog."  She did not mind - so there you go.

My overall concept goes a bit further, though and it starts today:  One picture, one book and one quote per day for a year.  I've been thinking for a while about adapting my blog to something that has a theme that will inspire me to keep going regularly. Well, this is it and let's see how long I can make it work.

Of course, I'll keep posting other entries too, because not everything will fall into the 1+1+1 for 365  theme.  In fact, a lot of things won't.  But at the very least I will now have a daily blog-task.  In cases of real emergency or when I cannot get online for whatever reason, I might have to do things retrospectively.  Not that I'm planning to do so often, but I've promised myself this will be fun and not yet another reason to feel stressed and rushed to get things done.

Thus

  • I'll post one picture per day. Some will be brand new, some will be old.  The quality is sure to vary.  But they will all be my own pictures and I will provide a description for each. Whether those descriptions are long or short, will depend on the picture and the circumstances of taking it or writing about it...
  • I'll also post a quote per day.  I love quotes because I believe we can always learn from others and the way in which people manage to say things  "just right".  The choices of these quotes will depend, probably on mood or things that are occupying my mind or I might be inspired by someone else's choices.  I'll always acknowledge the author, unless of course the author is that most long-suffering of writers, namely Anonymous.
  • I'll recommend or refer to one book.  Most will be books I've read in the past (there is no way I can read a book a day!) and some will be very brief mentions rather than long descriptions.  But at the very least I'll say at least a few words about every book and why I read it and liked it.  There may even be books I read but did not like and I'll also say why - let's see what happens.
Whether I have just a few readers or none, at least I hope some of it will be fun for you to follow some of this.

So here goes:


TODAY's QUOTE:

“No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.” Albert Einstein

TODAY'S BOOK:
The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince), by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I just love and have always loved this famous novella, which was written in such a deceptively simple style and which nevertheless deals with such big themes such as astronomy, the human existence, tolerance, loneliness, friendship and much more.  It is a must-read book and I have often recommended that families read it together. The author's illustrations are lovely and although I've read the book a number of times, I always feel as though I am taking something special from the experience.

And from this book comes this another beautiful quote: "One sees clearly only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes."

TODAY'S PICTURE:



Ganymede - a male Ragdoll and one of the three cats currently sharing my home - is lying on the dining room table, which is of course not supposed to contain live cats.  My 3 normally behave as far as the table is concerned and they never, ever get on other kitchen working surfaces.  But occasionally one of them becomes a pretty picture on the table for a while...

PS, Stop Press or whatever (on 1 Sept).

I have retrospectively decided to add one more element as a bonus:  a Website of the Day

So this is the one for today:
http://www.universetoday.com/   Astronomy related.  Short pieces of interesting news & things and some really good pictures


Picture & text: © Lee Labuschagne - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

4 comments:

  1. Love the cat - and the table. Can see why it's usually off bounds for furry creatures, specially those with sharp claws. Nice idea, Lee; hope it works for you. I'm terrified of being obligated to produce a blog on a daily basis, but that's really the diary format it's supposed to take. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Wendy. I certainly appreciate the encouragement. Please come back and visit again and even debate some of the books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely idea for a blog, and enviably ambitious!
    I'm looking forward to this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lynne. Let's see where it takes us:)

    ReplyDelete

Add your comment(s) here: