Thank you...

... for taking the time to stop by. I hope some of these ponderings will resonate with you.

Leave a comment if you want to - your contributions are more than welcome.



(Unless stated otherwise, all text & pictures are © Lee Labuschagne, all rights reserved.)


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

1+1+1 for 365 day 2: Reflections

TODAY'S QUOTE:

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."  - Oscar Wilde

I've loved this quote for many years. Astronomy is one of my enduring interests - but even if it weren't, I would have found the words inspirational.

TODAY'S BOOK:

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Wilde's only novel and one that could be summarised in the phrase "Vanity, thy name is... man?" (I know this might get me in trouble with some of my friends, but could not resist.)

There is no particular reason why I chose this as thefirst "classic"book to feature in this challenge other than the fact that I wanted something to tie in with the quote. Choosing between those many books that are standard works in so many libraries is not easy. I'll feature many more in days to come - not only because it was my field of study at varsity, but also because I feel naturally drawn to the elegance of books from the 17th to early 20th century.

Those novels made me fall in love with literature even as a young girl, and before I started my studies. I carried arms full of books home from our local library - often using my mom's library card because that meant I could
take out "adult's" books and not only "children's" books. In addition to the books on dinosaurs and evolution which were frowned upon by more conservative teachers, I took home the novels of Defoe, Dickens and so many others. Yes, I liked youth literature and Agatha Christie too, but my favourites were Sherlock Holmes and somewhere along the line I read "The Picture of Dorian Gray" for the first time as well.

This is a slim volume and it tells a relatively simple story. But it also shows why Oscar Wilde is so often quoted. 

Some of it may "feel" strange to 21st century eyes, but the wit and charm of his prose remains unmistakable. It is unashamedly a story with a moral - but even if one does not like literature to "preach" to you, you could still easily forgive Wilde because he writes so darn well.

The story of the picture that ages while its subject stays young, has Faustian elements, melodrama, a bit of magic, and all that famous wit to keep you interested.  It is the stuff that horror and fantasy movies are made of  - and indeed it has been made into more than one movie and reworked for the stage and TV. Aspects of the book are often "quoted" or referred to in many films, books and TV shows.

I've been meaning to read it again soon: it has been some time since I've done so.   I had to look this up, because I forgot the name of the magazine, but this gothic novel was first published in "Lippincott's Monthly Magazine" - a literary magazine. It has been printed and reprinted many times since.  The volume on my shelf is bound in leather and makes one want to read and savour it while nicely dressed and sipping tea, rather than to crawl under the duvet and devour its words.

Oscar Wilde's writings remind me of Shakespeare in many ways - not only because both are so quoteworthy, but also because their works were intended to entertain, yet outlived their times as more than just entertainment for good reason. 

Go on, get it from your local library - or even better, buy your own copy so you can underline the quotes and use them later!

TODAY'S PICTURE: Wohlensee



I took this picture many years ago when I lived in Switzerland. 
during a sailing excursion with friends along the Wohlensee.  I noticed the little rowing boat,
trees and reflections in the late summer afternoon after we returned to the shore.

WEBSITE OF THE DAY: 

http://www.proud2b.org/    Positive messages, practical help...



Picture & text: © Lee Labuschagne - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

2 comments:

  1. That is just such a brilliant quote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suki - isn't it just wonderful? I'm afraid there will be many other quotes with an astronomical theme *smile*.
    Not that you and other starry-eyed people will mind, I guess?

    ReplyDelete

Add your comment(s) here: